点击购买获取口译网网站注册邀请码口译自己怎么练 微信就能天天练!独家口译教学训练备考实战精华语料库关注口译网公众号 订阅最新口译资料
查看: 16808|回复: 12

[文教] 2017-06-09 苹果CEO库克在麻省理工学院2017毕业典礼上的演讲

[复制链接]
发表于 2017-6-19 09:36:29 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
打卡上传录音

Hello, MIT!

麻省理工的同学们,你们好。

Thank you. Congratulations class of ’17. I especially want to thank Chairman Millard, President Reif, distinguished faculty, trustees, and the members of the class of 1967. It is a privilege to be here today with your families and your friends on such on amazing and important day.

感谢大家。祝贺2017届毕业生。我要特别感谢麻省理工学院董事长罗伯特·米兰德(Robert Millard)、校长拉尔夫·赖夫(L. Rafael Reif)、杰出的全体教员、学院董事以及1967届校友们。今天,在这个极不平凡和重要的日子里,能够和你们的家人和好友共同在这里庆祝,我感到十分荣幸。

MIT and Apple share so much. We both love hard problems. We love the search for new ideas, and we especially love finding those ideas, the really big ones, the ones that can change the world. I know MIT has a proud tradition of pranks or as you would call them, hacks. And you have pulled off some pretty great ones over the years. I’ll never figure out how MIT students sent that Mars rover to the Kresge Oval, or put a propeller beanie on the great dome, or how you’ve obviously taken over the president’s Twitter account. I can tell college students are behind because most of the Tweets happen at 3:00 a.m.

麻省理工学院和苹果有许多共同点。我们都喜欢攻克难题,追求新想法,尤其是喜欢找到能够改变世界的伟大创意。我知道,麻省理工拥有恶作剧的自豪传统,也就是你们所称的“黑”(hacks)。在麻省理工学院就读的这几年,你们肯定完成了不少非常棒的恶作剧。我永远想不明白你们是如何把火星漫游车送到演讲厅的,也不知道你们如何在图书馆的圆顶上带上螺旋桨帽子的。显然,你们也接管了总统的Twitter账号,因为在凌晨3点发布那么多推文只有你们才干得出来。

I’m really happy to be here. Today is about celebration. And you have so much to be proud of. As you leave here to start the next leg of your journey in life, there will be days where you ask yourself, ‘Where is this all going?’ ‘What is the purpose?’ ‘What is my purpose?’ I will be honest, I asked myself that same question and it took nearly 15 years to answer it. Maybe by talking about my journey today, I can save you some time.

今天在这里出席你们的毕业典礼,我由衷地感到高兴。今天是一个值得庆祝的日子,你们有许多值得骄傲的成就。当你离开这里,开启人生下一个篇章时,你会扪心自问,“下一步发展方向是什么?”、“目标是什么”、“自己的目标又是什么”。老实说,我问过自己相同的问题,花了近15年时间才找到答案。今天,通过分享我的人生旅程,我或许能够帮助你们节省一些寻找答案的时间。

The struggle for me started early on. In high school, I thought I discovered my life’s purpose when I could answer that age-old question, ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’ Nope. In college I thought I’d discover it when I could answer, ‘What’s your major?’ Not quite. I thought that maybe I’d discovered it when I found a good job. Then I thought I just needed to get a few promotions. That didn’t work either.

我的困惑很早就已经出现。上高中时,当我以为能够回答那个老生常谈的问题——你长大了想做什么时,我就找到了自己的人生目标。但其实不然。上大学时,我曾以为自己知道想学什么专业就找到了目标。也不完全如此。在我找到一份好工作,认为自己只需要几次晋升后,我又有了这样的想法,但都不对。

I kept convincing myself that it was just over the horizon, around the next corner. Nothing worked. And it was really tearing me apart. Part of me kept pushing ahead to the next achievement. And the other part kept asking, ‘Is this all there is?’

我不断的告诉自己,在未来的某一天或某个地方,我一定能够找到人生目标的终极答案。但不幸的是这始终没有发生,这让我十分伤心。我一边不断的工作争取下一个成就一边拷问自己:“难道生命的意义就在于此吗?”

I went to grad school at Duke looking for the answer. I tried meditation. I sought guidance in religion. I read great philosophers and authors. And in a moment of youthful indiscretion, I might even have experimented with a Windows PC, and obviously that didn’t work.

于是,我到杜克大学深造、我尝试冥想、我在宗教和灵修方面尝试,我阅读许多伟大哲学家和作家的经典。在年少无知的岁月里,我甚至尝试使用Windows PC,显然它没有给我我想要的答案。

After countless twists and turns, at last, 20 years ago, my search brought me to Apple. At the time, the company was struggling to survive. Steve Jobs had just returned to Apple, and had launched the ‘Think Different’ campaign. He wanted to empower the crazy ones—the misfits, the rebels and the troublemakers, the round pegs, and the square holes—to do the best work. If we could just do that, Steve knew we could really change the world.

经过无数的曲折,时间来到了20年前,苹果公司当时成为了我的“下一个尝试”。当时,苹果公司正在勉强生存。史蒂夫·乔布斯刚刚回到了苹果,并提出了知名的“Think Diffrent”口号。他想要让疯狂的人,非主流的人,反叛分子,麻烦制造者来到这家公司工作。乔布斯知道,如果苹果能够做到这一点,那么他们就可以改变世界。

Before that moment, I had never met a leader with such passion or encountered a company with such a clear and compelling purpose: to serve humanity. It was just that simple. Serve humanity. And it was in that moment, after 15 years of searching, something clicked. I finally felt aligned; aligned with a company that brought together challenging, cutting-edge work with a higher purpose; aligned with a leader who believed that technology which didn’t exist yet could reinvent tomorrow’s world; aligned with myself and my own deep need to serve something greater.

在此之前,我从未遇到过有着如此热情的领导,也没见过有如此笃定决心的公司:服务全人类。多么简单的一个目标。服务全人类。在15年寻求真理之后,我最终找到了这样一个答案,就在那一刻,我觉得自己受到了启发。我的理想和公司的目标达成一致——使用技术达成更崇高的目标。我的理想和乔布斯也是一致的,我们今天所做的努力能够改变人们明天的生活,改变人们的未来。

Of course, at that moment I don’t know all of that. I was just grateful to have psychological burden lifted. But with the help of hindsight, my breakthrough makes a lot more sense. I was never going to find my purpose working some place without a clear sense of purpose of its own. Steve and Apple freed me to throw my whole self into my work, to embrace their mission and make it my own. How can I serve humanity? This is life’s biggest and most important question. When you work towards something greater than yourself, you find meaning, you find purpose. So the question I hope you will carry forward from here is how will you serve humanity?

当时,我自己其实已苦苦追求这个目标许久,但当时的我并不知道自己正在寻找答案。突然间,我感到心中的负担完全消失了。后见之明告诉我,这一切是顺理成章的。我明白如果在一个目标不明确的公司工作,我绝对不会找到自己的理想,所以在那个时候是乔布斯给我了机会,让我全身心投入工作。所以我问自己:“我将如何为人类服务?”从那时起,这才是对我来说最重要的问题。

The good news is since you are here today you are on a great track. At MIT you have learned how much power that science and technology have to change the world for the better. Thanks to discoveries made right here, billions of people are leading healthier, more productive and more fulfilling lives. And if we’re ever going to solve some of the hardest problems facing the world today, everything from cancer to climate change to educational inequality, then technology will help us to do it.But technology alone isn’t the solution. And sometimes it’s even part of the problem.

好消息是,在MIT你们已经走上了正确的道路。你们知道科学和技术可以让世界变得更好,让成千上万人们的生活变得更加健康、丰富和充实。如果我们要解决一些世界上最棘手的问题——从癌症到气候变化到教育不平等——仅靠技术本身并不是终极之道,甚至有时候技术也会是问题的一部分。

Last year I had the chance to meet with Pope Francis. It was the most incredible meeting of my life. This is a man who has spent more time comforting the inflicted in slums than with heads of state. This may surprise you, but he knew an unbelievable amount about technology. It was obvious to me that he had thought deeply about it. Its opportunity. Its risks. Its morality. What he said to me at that meeting, what he preached, really, was on a topic that we care a lot about at Apple. But he expressed a shared concern in a powerful new way: Never has humanity had such power over itself, yet nothing ensures it will be used wisely,he has said.

比如说就在去年,我有机会和教皇方济各见面,这是我生命当中最特别的会面。他在贫民窟中安抚贫民的时间超过了和国家元首见面的时间。他对科技的了解也让人觉得难以置信,他肯定是深入思考过科技的。在他看来,这些都是机会,同时也意味着风险,还关乎人们的道德。在跟教皇的这次见面当中,我们讨论了在苹果一个非常重要的话题:那就是人类如何面对自身从未拥有过的如此多的权力?方济各怀疑,这些权力究竟能不能以正确的方式为人所用?

Technology today is integral to almost all aspects of our lives and most of the time it’s a force for good. And yet the potential adverse consequences are spreading faster and cutting deeper. The threats to security, threats to privacy, fake news, and social media that becomes antisocial. Sometimes the very technology that is meant to connect us divides us. Technology is capable of doing great things. But it doesn’t want to do great things. It doesn’t want anything. That part takes all of us. It takes our values and our commitment to our families and our neighbors and our communities, our love of beauty and belief that all of our faiths are interconnected, our decency, our kindness.

今天,科技已经占据了生活的方方面面,在很多情况下,都是积极的影响。但我们也可以看到有潜在的可能,也就是科技反噬我们,可能会咬的猝不及防。比如对我们安全、隐私的威胁,比如说虚假新闻、社交媒体现在都对社会产生了负面影响。有些时候这些本来应该连接人类的技术,开始把人类分割开来。科技有能力做伟大的事情,但它并不想做伟大的事情,它并不想要任何东西。科技的这个特点会带走我们所拥有的一切:他会带走我们的价值观,我们对家庭、邻里和社区的承诺、我们对美的热爱、我们的信念、我们的正直和善良。

I’m not worried about artificial intelligence giving computers the ability to think like humans. I’m more concerned about people thinking like computers without values or compassion, without concern for consequences. That is what we need you to help us guard against. Because if science is a search in the darkness, then the humanities are a candle that shows us where we’ve been and the danger that lies ahead.

我所担心的并不是人工智能能够像人一样思考,我更担心的是人们像计算机一样思考,没有价值观,没有同情心,没有对结果的敬畏之心。我所担心的并不是人工智能能够像人一样思考,我更担心的是人们像计算机一样思考,没有价值观,没有同情心,没有对结果的敬畏之心。如果科学是黑暗中的探索,那么人性则是引领我们前行、让我们看清危险的烛火。

As Steve once said, technology alone is not enough. It is technology married with the liberal arts married with the humanities that make our hearts sing.When you keep people at the center of what you do, it can have an enormous impact. It means an iPhone that allows the blind person to run a marathon. It means an Apple Watch that catches a heart condition before it becomes a heart attack. It means an iPad that helps a child with autism connect with his or her world. In short, it means technology infused with your values, making progress possible for everyone.

乔布斯说过,“科技本身是不够的,一定要让科技和文化和人文结合起来才可以让人理智。”当人仍然是处在核心位置的时候,你可以带来巨大的影响力,比如说今天使用iPhone手机,一个盲人可以跑马拉松;你使用苹果手表可以及时预防心脏病;使用iPad,可以帮助自闭症儿童认识世界,敞开心扉。所以你们需要将价值观跟科技融合起来,要让这种权力真正地惠及所有人。

Whatever you do in your life, and whatever we do at Apple, we must infuse it with the humanity that each of us is born with. That responsibility is immense, but so is the opportunity. I’m optimistic because I believe in your generation, your passion, your journey to serve humanity. We are all counting on you.

你在一生当中所做的事情,以及我们在苹果公司所做的事情,就是在尝试把我们的科技同人文融合起来。这样责任重大,同时也是机会所在。我相信你们这一代人,以你们的热情和你们愿意服务人类的决心,我有理由相信你们,依赖你们。

There is so much out there conspiring to make you cynical. The internet has enabled so much and empowered so many, but it can also be a place where basic rules of decency are suspended and pettiness and negativity thrive. Don’t let that noise knock you off course. Don’t get caught up in the trivial aspects of life. Don’t listen to trolls and for God’s sake don’t become one. Measure your impact in humanity not in the likes, but the lives you touch; not in popularity, but in the people you serve. I found that my life got bigger when I stopped carrying about what other people thought about me. You will find yours will too. Stay focused on what really matters.

尽管有很多愤世嫉俗的言论和阴谋论存在——互联网赋予了我们很多,但是也会有很多基本的原则被人们置之脑后,斤斤计较和负能量爆棚。但不要让这样的声音使你们误入歧途,不要陷入生活的琐碎,不要听信网络喷子,更不要变成喷子。不要通过点赞来衡量生活,而要看你真正触及到了多少人的生命。不要看自己是否受欢迎,而是看自己服务了多少人。在我开始在乎别人怎么看我之后,我生活的目标也变大了,你们也会如此。但是请你们不要分心,要关注真正重要的事情。

There will be times when your resolve to serve humanity will be tested. Be prepared. People will try to convince you that you should keep your empathy out of your career. Don’t accept this false premise.

有些时候你有决心想要去服务人类,但是这种决心将会受到考验,请做好准备。人们会劝说你“你应该在职业生涯当中抛弃同情心和同理心”,但是不要相信这些谎言。

At a shareholders meeting a few years back, someone questioned Apple’s investment and focus on the environment. He asked me to pledge that Apple would only invest in green initiatives that could be justified with a return on investment. I tried to be diplomatic. I pointed out that Apple does many things, like accessibility features for those with disabilities that don’t rely on an ROI. We do the things because they are the right thing to do, and protecting the environment is a critical example. He wouldn’t let it go and I got my blood up. So I told him, “If you can’t accept our position, you shouldn’t own Apple stock.”

曾经有人一直都在质疑苹果的投资,有人要求我承诺苹果只会不断去投资那些可以带来最好回报的业务。我尝试跟他们打太极,有很多事情其实跟投资回报率没有关系,但是我们依然做了。像iPhone提供给残障认识的辅助功能。我做这些是因为我们认为这是正确的事情,保护环境本身就是一个非常重要的例子。我当时在董事会当中有人不同意我们这样去做,于是我跟他摊牌,我告诉他如果你不同意苹果做这些正确的事情,那你就不适合做苹果的股东。

When you are convinced that your cause is right, have the courage to take a stand. If you see a problem or an injustice, recognize that no one will fix it but you. As you go forward today, use your minds and hands and your hearts to build something bigger than yourselves. Always remember there is no idea bigger than this.

当你笃定你的事业是争取的时候,你必须要敢于承担责任,必须要有立场。有些情况下,只有你才能做正确的事情,不能指望别人。大家要遵从自己的内心,用自己的双手,来为更重要的事情努力,没有什么比这更重要的。

As Dr. Martin Luther King said, “All life is interrelated. We are all bound together into a single garment of destiny.” If you keep that idea at the forefront of all that you do, if you choose to live your lives at that intersection between technology and the people it serves, if you strive to create the best, give the best, do the best for everyone, not just for some, then today all of humanity has good cause for hope.

正像马丁·路德金博士说过的,“所有的事情是内在互联的,我们被命运捆绑在一起”。我们所有人都朝着一个方向去努力,如果你们选择要科技和它所服务的人的交叉点,如果你愿意为生活当中遇到的每个人尽你所能,那么今天,我们所有人类都有理由来相信它们。

Thank you very much and congratulations class of 2017!

非常感谢大家,最后,祝贺2017届的学生顺利毕业!

↓下载资源↓

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2017-9-3 13:09:41 | 显示全部楼层
非常感谢!!!!!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-2-28 22:15:22 | 显示全部楼层
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-3-2 18:17:05 | 显示全部楼层
下载视频
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-3-4 19:21:09 | 显示全部楼层
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-11-27 15:30:14 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-12-15 19:04:13 | 显示全部楼层
感谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-12-18 06:11:54 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2020-1-24 17:24:35 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2020-2-6 18:28:28 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢分享啦
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

客服微信|Archiver|手机版|口译网    

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 04:00 , Processed in 0.051866 second(s), 19 queries .