点击购买获取口译网网站注册邀请码口译自己怎么练 微信就能天天练!独家口译教学训练备考实战精华语料库关注口译网公众号 订阅最新口译资料
查看: 36434|回复: 36

[科技] 2009-06-14 露西·霍金世界科学节演讲-我的父亲斯蒂芬·霍金

[复制链接]
发表于 2018-3-15 09:20:46 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
打卡上传录音

↓观看密码↓
游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】

This is my father, Stephen Hawking. And it's a very nice photograph of him. He's a very brilliant man. He's a theoretical physicist and that means that he looks for ways to understand the universe around us using the laws of physics. And so he's a very brilliant man and he's the Lucasian professor of Mathematics at Cambridge University. So that's a very long way to say. It's the same job of the great scientist Isaac Newton once held. And he's won many awards and been given many honorary degrees. And so you would think that this would have been obvious right from the beginning. Well, this is the part of the talk where we do some time travel.

这是我的父亲斯蒂芬·霍金。这是他的一张非常好的照片,他是一个非常出色的人,他是一位理论物理学家,这意味着他用物理定律去寻找理解我们身边宇宙的方法。他是一位非常出色的人,他是剑桥大学卢卡逊数学教授,这是伟大的科学家艾萨克·牛顿曾经做过的工作。他获得了许多奖项和荣誉学位。你们会认为这从一开始就是显而易见的,不过这只是我们时间旅行的一部分。

We're going to go back and take a look. So here he is. This is my father as a small boy with his two sisters. And when my father was a young boy and he was at school his teachers didn't think that much of him. This is a line from one of his school reports: "This boy will never amount to anything." However, his classmates must have noticed something about him. Because they nicknamed him Einstein and he did go on to become a scholar. And this just shows that kids are so much cleverer than adults. Because he became a scholar and he went to Oxford University and he left with a first in honours in Physics and he came to Cambridge to begin his research.

我们回溯到过去。这是我父亲还是一个小男孩的时候,和他的两个姐妹在一起。当我父亲还是个小男孩的时候,他学校的老师并没有看好他。这是他学校报告中的一句话:“这个男孩永远不会获得成功”。然而,他的同学们一定注意到了他的一些潜力,因为他们给他起了个“爱因斯坦”的绰号,他后来确实成为了一名学者。这足以表明,孩子们比成年人更聪明。因为他成为了一名学者,他去了牛津大学,他在物理学取得了学位,后来到剑桥开始他的研究。

Now around this time he also found out that he was suffering from a disease. And it's a disease called ALS and what it does is it slowly takes away your ability to move your muscles and in later years it's also taken away his natural speaking voice. And so at the end of the talk when you hear him talking to you, it will sound like a computer is speaking to you. but it isn't. It's a real man who's using a computer to give himself back the voice that his disease has taken away from him.

大约也是在这个时期,他发现自己患上了一种疾病,这是一种称为肌萎缩侧索硬化症(ALS)的疾病,它慢慢地夺走了他肌肉活动的能力,几年后又夺走了他的说话能力。所以现在当他跟你说话时,听起来就像一台电脑在跟你说话,但实际上并非如此,这是一个真正的人在讲话,他在使用电脑替代自己被疾病夺走的声音。

But fortunately some good things also happened to my father in this time. He met my mother and he got engaged and he got married. And he started work on his thesis and his thesis was called 'Properties of Expanding Universes' and as part of his thesis he managed to prove that the Universe must have had a definite beginning. So that's not bad for a bit of post-graduate work actually. And now a few years on and here we are. This is 1970 in Cambridge and that baby is me. And my parents called me Lucy because the name 'Lucy' comes from the Latin word for light and light is one of the major studies of astrophysicists like my father and so it's a very good name for the daughter of a physicist and the reason I'm showing you this photo from 1970.

幸运的是,我的父亲也遇到了一些好的事情,他遇到了我的母亲,并且订婚、结婚了。他开始研究他的论文,他的论文题目是“膨胀宇宙的属性”,作为论文的一部分他设法证明了宇宙必定有一个确定的开始,这对于研究生工作实际上已经很不错了。现在又几年过去了,这张照片是1970年在剑桥时,这个婴儿就是我。我的父母给我取名露西,因为'露西'这个名字来自拉丁文中的光,而光是像我父亲那样的天体物理学家的主要研究之一,所以这是一个物理学家的女儿的非常好的名字,你们应该理解我为什么会向你们展示这张1970年的照片了。

1970 was an important year for my father. He had a Eureka moment and he worked out a very elegant mathematical proof of what happens when two black holes collide. He worked out that when two black holes collide they join to form a larger black hole but that they can't split to form two black holes. So as you can tell, I was a very inspirational thought-provoking baby there.

1970年对于我的父亲是很重要的一年。他的灵感出现,得出了一个非常优雅的数学证明,算出了当两个黑洞碰撞时会发生什么,当两个黑洞相撞时,他们会结合在一起形成一个更大的黑洞,而不能分裂形成两个黑洞。所以你们看,我还是一个挺能激发人灵感的孩子。

And here we are. This is a few years later and we have moved to CalTech. We're now living in California in Pasadena and Caltech is a great centre for scientists on the West Coast of America. And this is 1974 which was another very important year for my father because he's working on his realisations about what happens when a star implodes to form a black hole. So we saw the supernova, the great explosion at the end of a star's life a few minutes ago and what happens if it was a big enough star it throws the outer layers off and the inner core can collapse on itself to form a black hole. And that's what my father's working on at this point.

这是几年之后,我们已经搬到了加州理工学院,我们住在加利福尼亚州的帕萨迪纳,加州理工学院可以说是美国西海岸的科学家集中地。这是1974年,这对我父亲来说是另一个非常重要的一年,因为他正在研究当一颗恒星内爆形成黑洞时会发生什么。所以我们在几分钟前看到了超新星,在一颗恒星结束时发生的巨大爆炸,以及如果它是一颗足够大的恒星,它会抛出外层部分,而内核自行塌陷形成黑洞。这就是我父亲当时主要从事的研究。

Now after this we go back to England and my father takes up his professorship at Cambridge and many many many things happen over the intervening years. I grew up, become a teenager. My school reports were really not so great either: "Charm is no substitute for hard work". And my father also has a very very busy time. He writes his best-selling work a Brief History of Time. Now this is a book that has sold all over the world and yet some people claim that not so many people have actually managed to finish it. So that's one of the reasons why we set to work on our children's books. We set to work to try and add some extra explanation.

之后我们又回到了英国,我的父亲在剑桥接受了教授的职位,期间发生了很多很多事情。我长大成了一个少女,我的学校报告也不那么好:“美丽代替不了努力”。我的父亲也处于非常繁忙的时期,他写出了畅销书《时间简史》。这是一本畅销世界的书,但有些人声称没有那么多人实际上能把它读完。这也是我们开始着手编写儿童读物的一个原因,我们试着在书里增加一些额外的解释。

Now at that time my father also had some some fun things going on in his life. He went on the Simpsons. He really loved being on the Simpsons the way they gave him helicopter blades for his wheelchair but he did say that he's really glad that in real-life he's not bright yellow. He also did this. He was on Star Trek Paramount studios one day because he was working at Caltech and they asked him if he'd like a part. And here he is on the enterprise with the two greatest scientists of all time in my mind, Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein.

我的父亲在生活中也有一些有趣的事情发生。他上了《辛普森一家》。他很喜欢《辛普森一家》中给他轮椅上按了直升机螺旋桨,不过他说很庆幸在现实生活中他不是动画片里亮黄色的样子。他还上了派拉蒙的《星际迷航》,因为他在加州理工学院工作,他们问他是否想要出演一部分镜头,在这里他与有史以来最伟大的两位科学家在一起:艾萨克·牛顿和阿尔伯特.爱因斯坦。

And a few more adventures. Here he is floating in zero gravity. And this is a really lovely picture because if you look at the size of his smile and you think this is a man whose mind has been free to travel across the whole universe but his body has been confined to a wheelchair for decades by this point and here he is free and he is floating.

他还尝试了更多的冒险,他在零重力下漂浮。这是一幅非常可爱的画面,因为如果你看他的笑容,你能感受到这是一个心灵自由穿越整个宇宙的人,他的身体几十年来被限制在轮椅上,而在这里,他是漂浮的,他是自由的。

↓下载资源↓

游客,如果您要查看本帖隐藏内容请【回复】
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-3-15 10:30:16 | 显示全部楼层
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-3-15 16:52:29 | 显示全部楼层
感谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-3-15 17:06:06 | 显示全部楼层
下载密码不是观看密码?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-4-12 22:52:08 | 显示全部楼层
观看密码?
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-4-13 10:57:08 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-5-17 07:06:10 | 显示全部楼层
thanks for sharing
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-5-25 10:39:27 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-5-25 10:40:03 来自手机 | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2018-8-10 15:53:16 | 显示全部楼层
感谢分享
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

客服微信|Archiver|手机版|口译网    

GMT+8, 2024-3-28 21:16 , Processed in 0.049781 second(s), 19 queries .